Osteology at TMSE

By Holly Judge

Osteology (1)

Earlier in the semester there was some bad weather, and because of this we missed one week of class. We decided that we didn’t want to skip any of the topics we had planned, so we wanted to combine two lectures: primates and human osteology/locomotion.

I was responsible for the human osteology and locomotion portion of the lecture, and Joyia was responsible for teaching about primates.

1The class began with Joyia teaching about primates. The kids were actually really interested in this lecture so it took a lot of time. In order to have enough time for the activity, I tried to rush through my lecture a little bit.

I spoke about what osteology is, what it can tell us, and why it is important. I also spoke about locomotion, how humans move and gorillas. I ended with  an example of studying skeletal remains in Indonesia. I think the kids really appreciated the slide where I let them name and point out different bones in the human body. I was surprised at how much they really knew about the human skeleton!

2

At the end of my lecture I introduced the activity we all were going to do on cultures and clans. The activity combined the activity for primates (scavenging for food) with some aspects from the osteology lecture (they all had to knuckle-walk like gorillas). After all the “food” was found, the kids counted up their calorie points. Then we showed our surprise for the class – crickets and mealworms! Now, in my opinion, I’d rather have gummy worms, but they were all really excited! They were bragging about how many crickets and worms they had eaten. They are much more adventurous than I am.

Overall, I think I did a good job with this lesson, and I think the kids really enjoyed it. I do wish that I would’ve been able to have a full class for the lecture, I was excited to have the kids use their archaeology skills and discover some bones for themselves (of the sweetart variety, buried in some cupcakes), but you have to roll with situations that you don’t see coming. I think the kids enjoyed learning about osteology and bones, and that says good job in my book.