10 Things You May Not Know About Dr. Kathy Oths

Dr. Oths conducting fieldwork in the Peruvian highlands.
Kathy Oths conducting fieldwork in the Peruvian highlands.

In our ongoing effort to bring more depth to our play (name that ethnographic reference), we bring you 10 things you may not know about Professor Kathy Oths. Dr. Oths is Professor of Anthropology in our Biocultural Medical track, specializing in medical anthropology in Latin America. In addition:

1. “I was raised in a small Appalachian coal mining town in Southeastern Ohio.
  2. The first record I bought as a kid was a 45 rpm single by Johnny Cash for 83 cents.
  3. As a Wellston High School sophomore, I was elected queen of the First Annual Sweetheart Dance by the student body.
  4. I was a VISTA volunteer on the Navajo Reservation in 1980 doing carpentry, solar energy, and weatherization.
  5. I lived for 6 months in a Spanish nunnery.
  6. I was scrum half for the Stanford Women’s Rugby team.
  7. Of all the manual labor jobs I’ve done, the slime line (pulling roe and milt out of salmon guts) for an Alaska fish factory was the most ‘exotic’… and smelly.
  8. I was a food carnie in a past life—part of my grad school education was financed by selling fry bread tacos at fairs and festivals from a traveling booth I built.
  9. During my second year of college, psychologist Ernest Hilgard hired me as a research assistant to hypnotize subjects.
  10. I was the occasional roadie for The Vivians, an alt grrrl band from Cleveland.”