23 and Me Results

This past couple weeks I've had the chance to look at my 23 and Me results and discuss it with my mom some, both of which gave me some insight.  Heritage wise, I'm pretty vanilla. Literally. I'm 99.7% European, and more specifically 83.8% Northern European.  2.9% of my DNA is from Neanderthals, which is the most exciting part of my ancestry.  On to the interesting stuff.

I found out that I am a carrier of the Rhizomelic chondrodysplasia punctata type 1 (RCDP1) gene.  Basically, if I am unlucky enough to have children with someone else who is carrier, my kids will have a one in four chance of being affected.

From 23 and Me website
From 23 and Me website

RCDP1 is a rare but horrible disease.  About half of kids with it will make it to school age.  According to 23 and Me, children with this disorder  have "skeletal abnormalities, congenital cataracts, growth failure, seizures and profound mental retardation."  They don't function anywhere near a normal child and would essentially need a full time nurse their entire lives.  Needless to say, that I'm a carrier is a little worrisome for me.

I'm at higher risk for psoriasis, although I don't know anyone in my family that has it.  I'm also at higher risk for age-related macular degeneration and restless leg syndrome, the latter doesn't surprise me at all. I'm at higher risk for Celiac disease, which I need to look into some more to see how it's related to the gluten sensitivity/allergy that my sister has.  Now to the happy part.  I'm at low risk for coronary heart disease, gout, Alzheimer's (which I'm really happy about because that disease simply scares me), and rheumatoid arthritis.

Interestingly, I can taste bitter flavors. On one hand, I really dislike brussel sprouts.  On the other, when I think about the bitter things we tasted in class it seems like I can't taste bitter. The tonic water wasn't bitter at all (I'd just as soon drink that as Sprite), I like dark chocolate, and asparagus and broccoli are two of my favorite vegetables.

All in all, I'm happy I participated in 23 and Me.

1 thought on “23 and Me Results