23 & Me

I'm really excited about having the opportunity to have my genes tested with my Biology, Culture, & Evolution class. I am looking forward to learning more about my ancestry. All I know is that at some point my ancestors lived in Ireland and Scotland, and on my mother's side my great-great grandmother was a Choctaw Indian. I think it will be really cool to find out more about my ancestry even further back than that. I also think it will be really beneficial for me to know which diseases I'm at risk for. High blood pressure and cardiovascular disease run in my family on both my maternal and paternal side. If I am at greater risk for that, I can make sure to maintain a healthy diet and exercise in order to prevent those diseases. However, I am a little worried about finding out that I may be at a greater risk for developing Alzheimer's because my granddad on my mother's side had it. If I am at a higher risk for it, there isn't anything I can do to prevent it. I'm haven't decided if it will be a good thing to know ahead of time, or if it would just cause unnecessary worrying.
I think it will also be advantageous to know which types of medication would work best for me and which ones I should avoid. I do think it would be beneficial to know what diseases I am a carrier for so that I can be aware of any problems that might occur when I do have children.