Sexology-oriented activity: Heather

I honestly don’t directly remember when my sexual transition from childhood to adulthood occurred. The knowledge about sex was just kind of present in my life, I don’t remember ever learning about it but I assume my aunt, who had a knack for answering every question I ever asked no matter what the topic, took me to the library and we looked it up and she gave responses to specific questions. I think within the African American community we have come to accept being hyper sexualized with examples through music and media of how sex is so important as a status marker, that it wasn’t odd when I heard stories of sexual acts from my male friends but I never really believed them and more so I never really acknowledged that I would be able to have sex or that I was old enough. The two instances I experienced that probably made me realize I was able to partake in sex was firstly, when I overheard a girl in my class talking about her sexual experience the previous night. I just remember thinking that’s kind of odd we’re only thirteen and secondly, when I heard my mother talking about a fourteen year old who was pregnant. That really signified that I was old enough but it was still odd to me and in my opinion that’s what a transition is. That odd point in life when you are trying to wrap you mind around the fact that you are now able or unable to do something.

Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!