The deadline for all anthropology graduate program applications is January 15. Applications must be received prior to January 15 for admission the subsequent fall semester.
The earlier the application is received, the more likely it is that financial aid can be awarded.
Apply to our graduate programs through the Graduate School’s website.
MA Program Admission Requirements
All applicants must meet the general guidelines for admission to the Graduate School. These include a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale for the last 60 semester hours in a degree program.
Applications consist of the following four components:
- A completed online application
- A statement of purpose that outlines, identifies, and explains the following:
- One personal and one professional goal and how it relates to anthropology
- Why the UA Anthropology program is best suited to help applicants achieve those goals
- Two UA Anthropology faculty members who are suited to mentor the applicants
- Any gaps or inconsistencies in the applicant’s academic record (it is acceptable to have them, but they should be explained)
- Official transcripts for all undergraduate/graduate work
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from individuals (typically professors) who are in a position to evaluate the applicant’s academic potential to achieve the outlined goals
Students may submit additional supporting materials (e.g., a curriculum vita, writing sample) if they wish.
PhD Program Admission Requirements
The PhD program requires that a student have completed a master’s degree in anthropology or a closely related discipline before pursuing PhD course work. Completion of the MA requirements in our program does not automatically guarantee acceptance into our Ph.D. program.
All applicants must meet the general guidelines for admission to the Graduate School. These include a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale for the MA degree.
Direct-to-Doctorate (D2D) Program
The D2D program is for undergraduates interested in going directly to the PhD program. This program includes five years of guaranteed funding and is reserved for select applicants. Contact Director of Graduate Studies, Dr. Christopher Lynn (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information about this or any of our graduate programs.