Anthropology Showcase – TMSE

By Molly Jaworski and Olivia Davis

Saying goodbye is almost always difficult, but it’s especially hard when there is an entire semester of memories and laughs to make you question why you’re doing it in the first place.

I think that I speak for myself and all of my fellow instructors when I say that there is nothing that  one would trade for the experiences had while teaching the students at TMSE. From the enthusiastic, “I literally can’t sit still because I’m so excited” hand raises during review times to the surprisingly advanced and “anthropological” comments that were made during activities, each of the students brought something special to the classroom and I think the argument could be made that their unique qualities made teaching a holistic understanding of human life much more successful than could have even been anticipated.

For our showcase presentation, Molly and I compiled a list of things that we wanted to use that would show TMSE kids and parents just how fun learning about people can be. So, naturally, sour-cream flavored crickets were put at the top of the list… The next thing we included in our plan was to provide some sort of snack from the geographic region that we’d been focusing on all semester– West Africa— and banana and coconut flavored Puff Puffs were the obvious choice! Rolled, fried, and covered in powdered sugar— convincing people to try these delicacies wasn’t much of a task. (Also, compliments to the chef, Molly Jaworski).

As for the table set up, we collected the activities and projects from our times in class (I.e. the monsters from our evolution lesson and the exhibits from the museum lesson) and had them displayed across the booth. In order to appeal to the parents and students who hadn’t been there to see thee creation of these masterpieces, there were printed pictures of the students working on them laid around each of the groups’ artwork. If the parents asked, we gave them those pictures to take home.

Overall, the showcase was a huge success. Having the opportunity to hear the students explain to their parents what they’d been working on all semester long was a reward in itself, but the greatest feeling of all was watching the kids’ faces when they pointed to their work and said, “This is my group’s! Isn’t it awesome?”